Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Father Marquess-Barry Says 'My Life is an Open Book' at PO Dedication

Father Richard Marquess-Barry thanks guests, including young men from the “5000 Role Model of Excellence Project,” for participating in this special occasion.


Story & Photos: Mirtha Uriarte, Miami Customer Relations Coordinator

“My life is an open book,” said Father Richard Marquess-Barry at a Post Office building dedication in his honor. “I have told my wife that when I die, I do not want a eulogy as I want all to know everything about me now while  I am still living. I’m hoping that I’ve left some footprints that my two grandsons can step in.”

On July 31, more than 150 family members, friends, government officials and community members gathered for the dedication ceremony at the Norland Post Office in Miami Gardens, FL. Miami Postmaster Enrique Suarez officiated with the Honorable Frederica S. Wilson, Member of Congress, 24th District of Florida, who introduced legislation to dedicate the facility and to Father Marquess-Barry, who was an ordained priest in the Episcopalian church for 39 years.

Eldest grandson, Richard Marquess-Barry II, spoke of his grandfather with esteem, being his mentor in life. He shared how his grandfather taught him love for his family and those in the community. He also encouraged him to cook and help others.

“I hope to make my grandfather proud of my journey in life as much as I am proud of his,” said Marquess-Barry II.   

In addition to family and friends were the Mayor, City of Miami Gardens Oliver G. Gilbert III who presented Father Marquess-Barry with a key to the city and a proclamation, Mayor Miami –Dade County Carlos Gimenez who also presented him with a proclamation, City of Opa Locka Mayor Myra Taylor, County Commissioner, District 1 Miami-Dade County Barbara Jordan, Senator Oscar Braynon II, Miami-Dade County School Board,  Dr. Wilbert Holloway, City Miami Gardens Councilwoman Lisa Davis and Councilwoman Lillie Odom.

More than 150 people attended the dedication of the Norland Post Office building to Father Richard Marquess-Barry.
 L to R: Miami, FL, Postmaster Enrique (Rick) Suarez poses with Father Richard Marquess-Barry in front of young men from the “5000 Role Model of Excellence Project” founded by Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson over 25 years ago.
City of Miami Gardens Mayor Oliver G. Gilbert III (left) presents the key to the city to Father Richard Marquess-Barry (right).
Father Richard Marquess-Barry smiles in admiration of his grandson’s speech on life’s lessons from his grandfather.
Father Richard Marquess-Barry (right) embraced by his grandson, Richard Marquess-Barry II, after his speech.
WSVN Channel 7 FOX interviews Father Richard Marquess-Barry.
Father Richard L. Marquess-Barry and City of Miami Gardens Mayor Oliver G. Gilbert III smile for a selfie to be updated to social media.


No comments: