Monday, November 11, 2013

Postal Service 'Forever' Salutes WWII Medal of Honor Recipients

On Veterans Day, the U.S. Postal Service dedicated the World War II Medal of Honor Forever stamps — paying tribute on Veterans Day and everyday going forward to the 464 American veterans who received the nation’s highest military honor for going above and beyond the call of duty during the Second World War.

The dedication took place at the National World War II Memorial where two of the eight living World War II recipients of the nation’s highest military honor joined in the dedication as part of a ceremony conducted by the Friends of the National World War II Memorial.

“Our challenge as a nation is to never forget the sacrifices all of these individuals made on our behalf,” said Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe in dedicating the stamps. “We hope these new Medal of Honor Forever stamps will provide everyone with one more way to preserve our veterans’ stories for future generations.”

Joining Donahoe in dedicating the stamps were World War II Medal of Honor recipients Army Master Sergeant Wilburn Ross of Dupont, WA; Army Private and retired postal employee George Sakato of Denver, CO; widow of Army Second Lieutenant/Senator Daniel Inouye, Irene Hirano Inouye of Honolulu, HI; past President of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society/Marine Corps retired Colonel and Vietnam War Medal of Honor recipient Harvey “Barney” Barnum; Chairman, Friends of the National World War II Memorial/retired U.S. Army Lieutenant General Claude Mick Kicklighter; Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley; and National Park Service National Mall and Memorial Parks Superintendent Robert Vogel.

Recounting his experience near heavily defended Hill 617 near Biffontaine, France in October 1944, Sakato recalled saying to himself, “What the hell? Why?” Sakato continued, “When he died, I got so mad, I cried and ran up that hill. I don’t know where I got the energy to do that.”


In his single assault, Sakato killed 12 and personally captured four enemy soldiers. His unit, inspired by his bravery, followed him to capture 34 prisoners. Sakato was recommended for the Medal of Honor but was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC). Fifty five years later, in 2000, his award was upgraded to the Medal of Honor.

“I didn't think I did the heroics credited to me. I was just mad out of my mind when I charged up the hill. I thought I might die, but I was going to die trying.  To be part of this stamp dedication is humbling,” said Sakato. “I share this honor with all the other brave men and women who sacrificed.”

That same month, near St. Jacques, France, after his company lost all but three of its men while fighting a company of elite German mountain troops, Wilburn Ross positioned his light machine gun in front of his riflemen and began firing to absorb the enemy’s attack. He killed or wounded 58 Germans in more than five hours of continuous combat and saved the surviving remnants of his company. He remained at his post for 36 hours.

“I did what I was supposed to do without thinking,” the soft spoken Ross said. “I didn’t think much about what the medal meant to me then, but now it means a lot. I’m grateful to be associated with members of the Medal of Honor Society. They are all selfless individuals who serve as role models to the community. These stamps will help tell their story.”


No comments: