Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Giving Her Stamp of Approval



Author and National Geographic Explorer, National Wildlife and Ranger Rick photographer Gail Shumway of Sarasota, FL took the firefly photo  in Lafayette, IN.

In Gail’s words:

“The image of the firefly that will be on the postage stamp was taken about 10 years ago in Lafayette, Indiana. Lafayette is where I grew up as a child. I live in Sarasota, Florida now.
I was in a soybean field and it was getting close to dusk but I still had enough ambient light to take the shot. There were many fireflies in the field at the time and they were flying all around me. I set up my camera on a tripod close to the ground. This was a shot where I needed to use the available light. I could not use a flash because it would over power the light I wanted to capture from the insect. I focused on a soybean leaf close to the ground in hopes that one of the fireflies would land on it and at the same time emit its light. I took quite a few images over a period of 30 minutes before I got the one that I wanted.

I used a Nikon F4, 35 mm SLR film camera and a 105 mm macro lens set at f/5.6 for 1/30 sec. using Fujichrome Velvia film.” 

No comments: