The District Safety Office is posting an ad-hoc Safety Specialist EAS-16 position, not to exceed two years. This position, open to all EAS and craft employees, will be filled on a best qualified basis.
The Safety Specialist will perform assigned duties at the District Safety Office, located at 2200 NW 72 Ave, Room 214, Miami, FL 33152-9441. The work schedule will be Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Implements and administers occupational safety and health policy and procedures for the safety and health program; monitors compliance with safety and health standards and regulations.
2. Provides technical guidance to line managers, including the interpretation of laws, regulations, and procedures pertinent to safety and health, accident prevention, and standards applicable to postal operations.
3. Coordinates, administers, and evaluate safety and health activities to meet safety and health goals and objectives.
4. Participates in assessing the safety and health training needs of managers and craft employees, including the orientation of new employees; may assist with the development and presentation of the training and the evaluation of its effectiveness.
5. May provide local input into the review of plans and specifications for construction and modification of facilities and installation of equipment to ensure conformance with safety regulatory codes or standards; recommends changes where necessary.
6. Conducts periodic facility safety inspections and safety program evaluations of work, storage and service areas for hazardous conditions and unsafe work practices utilizing the Safety Toolkit; conducts basic industrial hygiene evaluations.
7. Assist line managers and committees in the review of abatement activities to ensure corrective action and standards compliance; coordinates safety and health activities with other functional organizations.
8. Develops safety and health promotion activities that provides for improvement of safety awareness and accident prevention.
9. May investigate accidents and fatalities and analyzes accident data to ensure accurate accident reporting, determine causes and accident rates, detect trends, and to develop appropriate action plans.
10. Has frequent contact with representatives of government and private industry to coordinate occupation safety and health activities.
11. Assists with safety and health aspects of the Integrated Emergency Management Plan for the district or plant to include preparation of emergency action plans, coordinate with local emergency officials, and conduct training and exercises.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must submit an eCareer profile, including a completed STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS page for each of the Proficiency Requirements (KSAs). See the vacancy announcement posting on your employee bulletin board. Mail your application to Charisse Nadal, Manager, Safety, USPS, 2200 NW 72 Ave, RM 214, Miami, FL 33152 no later than March 18, 2016.