1. Avoid sending cash by mail. Checks and money orders are safer than cash and may be cancelled or reissued in the event of theft.
2. Don’t leave delivered mail and packages unattended. Just as wallets and
purses shouldn’t be left on the front seat of an unlocked car overnight, mail
and packages shouldn’t be left uncollected in mailboxes or front porches for
any length of time.
3. Consider an alternate shipping address. Customers can
arrange to have packages delivered to neighbors who are home during the day or
get packages delivered at work, if permitted.
4. Change the package’s address --- while it’s in transit! Customers who know
they won’t be home when their package is delivered can try USPS Package
Intercept. Prior to delivery, most domestic package shipments can be redirected
back to the sender, to a new address or to the Post office to be held for
5. Customize the delivery. If the package
doesn't fit in the mailbox, and the customer won’t be home to receive it, they
can provide delivery instructions online and authorize their carrier to leave
it in a specified location. Visit www.usps.com , enter tracking number and select "Delivering
Instructions." Customers also can request the package be left with a
neighbor or held at a Post Office for pickup.
6. Plan ahead. Ship using Hold or Pickup. When shipping
packages, customers can choose the Hold for Pickup option and the recipient can
collect the package at their local Post Office. For customers receiving
packages, they can redirect incoming packages to their local Post Office by
selecting Hold for Pickup using USPS Package Intercept.
7. Going out of town? Hold mail at the local Post Office. Instead of risking
leaving a package unattended for an extended period of time, customers planning
on being away from home for a few days are encouraged to take advantage of the Request
Hold Mail service. Letters and packages will be held securely at the local
Post Office until they return.
8. Secure the shipment using USPS Signature Services. Signature Services
help ensure the package ends up in the right hands by requiring a signature at
the time of delivery.
9. Choose the most secure form of delivery. For the most
valuable, packages, customers can opt for Registered Mail service. Registered
Mail receives special-handling from the time it’s mailed until it’s delivered,
documenting the chain of custody.
10. Post Office Boxes might be the answer. Customers concerned
about the security of their mail can consider renting a Post Office Box at their
local Post Office. The mail remains secure within the Post Office, accessible
only when using the right key or combination. Many Post Office lobbies are open
24/7, allowing customers to retrieve mail on their schedule.