|Employees should be diligent when accepting packages.|
The U.S. Postal Service is reminding employees to remain vigilant at all times regarding the security of USPS facilities and vehicles.
Employees should take extra care when accepting mail at retail counters and when collecting or delivering mail. Report any suspicious mail items to the Postal Inspection Service and local law enforcement officers.
Employees must follow these security procedures at all USPS locations:
- Exercise diligence when accepting mail at retail counters and follow all procedures to determine if packages contain hazardous materials.
- Letter carriers who use satchel carts must keep the cart in view at all times.
- Ensure all collection boxes, lobby mailboxes and collection receptacles have a current legible DDD-1 or DDD-3 customer notification labels.
- Lock any vehicle that cannot be maintained in full, direct sight.
- Immediately notify the Inspection Service, local Postal Police and the Vehicle Maintenance Facility manager of lost or missing vehicles and government license plates.