Thursday, September 1, 2016

Still Delivering after 43 Years

Haverhill Branch Letter Carrier Jerald "Jay" Jackson has been delivering his appointed rounds for 43 years. Photo: West Palm Beach Customer Relations Coordinator Curlita Rogers-Saunders

Haverhill Branch Letter Carrier Jerald “Jay” Jackson started his postal career  at the Oceanview Branch in Miami Beach. He worked at the hourly rate of $3.83. At that time it cost eight cents to mail a one-ounce letter.

"There have been many changes over the years, and I have embraced them all," said Jackson. "What I enjoyed the most was the different means of transportation to do my job. My first was a bicycle, my favorite was the jeep, then the Long Life Vehicle (LLV) and now the new vans.”

A self-proclaimed postal ambassador, Jackson says his customers come first because without them, there would be no Postal Service. He also appreciates his co-workers and is known for greeting them with a "good morning" and a smile.

No comments: