U.S. citizens must present a valid Passport Book when entering or re-entering the United States by air. U.S. citizens entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land borders and sea ports of entry must present a Passport Book, Passport Card or other travel documents approved by the U.S. government.
How to Prepare for the Passport Application Process:
- A completed application (form is available at usps.com/passport; but do not sign it until the passport clerk instructs you to do so).
- Remember that everyone, including newborn infants, is required to obtain a passport in his or her own name. For children under age 16, the consent of both parents/guardians is required.
- Proof of identity (a valid permanent state driver’s license, a government ID or military ID, previous passport, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization Certificate)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (previous passport, original or certified birth certificate issued from the state with a raised, embossed, impressed, or multi-colored seal and registrar’s signature and date of certificate filing)
- Two official passport photos (available at the Passport Fair for $15)Social Security Number