Tuesday, January 10, 2017

55 Years and Counting at Miami P&DC


Story & Photo: Dr. Sharon Johnson, Southern Area Employee Engagement Ambassador

Working at the U.S. Postal Service is a home away from home for many. The most exciting feeling is stumbling upon employees who have made this great organization their “home.”  The Miami Processing and Distribution Center (P&DC) to Robert (Bobby) Jones, Jr. Jones is a Mail Processing Equipment Mechanic in his 56th year of service --- and his smile is contagious. 

I asked, “Can you tell me about life in the USPS for 55 years?”

Well-dressed from head to toe in his postal maintenance uniform, he smiled and proudly stated, “This is my first job.  I started on Columbus Day, 1959. I worked in Cleveland Ohio in the Bulk Mail Center. I was a Mail Handler then and became a Clerk. I wanted to work outside so I became a Letter Carrier. Then I came to Miami in June 1976. I became an Electronics Technician. Today, I am a Mail Processing Equipment Mechanic.”

What made you stay? 

He chuckled and said, “The best thing was the weather, the security, and the people.  Most of my friends are gone now.”  He lowered his head with a soft smile as if he was reflecting on all those cherished years.

What would you say to the new employees about engagement? 

“The Postal Service is work to be proud of. Stay engaged. Come to work every day to support your family on the days you should. The Post Office is more like my second home away from home.”  He nodded, his eyes glistened, as he looked around his “home.”

Here is what co-workers had to say about him:

Mike Cowan, Manager, Distribution Operations:  “That man is so consistent, very reliable.  When you say ‘Bobby Jones,’ I say reliable, never a problem, whatever you asked of him, he does it.”

Robert Cole, Manager, Maintenance Operations:  “I have never seen him angry. He always has a positive attitude.”

No comments: